I realize that some of you might not have any clue as to how all this came together. And I thought I would let you know!
Jinotega, Nicaragua is sister cities with Shebly, North Carolina. A number of mission teams from Shelby have gone to Jinotega for the past couple of years. The Mayor of Shelby was interested in having individuals down in Jinotega to act as a liason between the states and Nicaragua. He approached some of the Spanish professors here at school, and in turn, those professors told us about it. And so here we are--and that is a very condensed version of it!
I prayed a lot about this trip and I wasn't entirely sure if I should go or not. I had heard about it before Christmas break and was interested but it didn't go much further than that. Sometime in February I started getting more interested in it and I spoke with Jessica who was already committed to going. I went to a meeting with her, with a church who has gone down a number of times, to find out more information. I was hooked but still a little hesitant. I wanted to know that I would have a place to stay and some of my food provided for (because I'm a poor college student!) The church people said that they would try to help us out and find some people down there. I told them that I was interested but felt hesitant in committing without having food and a place to stay. If we could get it nailed down a bit more I would go. I prayed that night and told God that if He was wanting me to go, if He could make it more apparent. This was Tuesday night. Come Thursday, we had a place to stay and most of our meals taken care of. That was my sign from God.
It's funny, because so often we try to limit God. I didn't expect an answer so soon. I figured everything would come together...but not so fast...So often I try to fit God into this box that I think that He fits in. But so often He shows me that He is so much bigger than my box.
Jessica and I will be teaching English to the people in the community, and helping in the local churches. We will be working on a water project in Danatali (a city close to Jinotega). Basically we will be doing whatever needs to be done. Plus, we'll be keeping in contact with the folks back in the states and if they have any questions we'll go find out the answers!
We'll be down there for 88 days. Come visit us!
Final Week
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment