We traveled to Datanli today to check out the water system and to talk to the leaders in the community. We arrived at the Project office at 8:30 like we were supposed to, but of course we waited around for awhile. They put us in two chairs and kind of left us there for awhile, while they got ready. Around 9:05, we pulled out and headed up to Datanli. We took a pick up truck and some of the folks rode in the back because we had so many going with us.
Apparently the project office didn't coordinate with the town before we went up there, so we were disorganized and confused about where to go. We stopped at a small church we found which wasn't the right one. I took this opportunity to climb into the back of the truck. I loved the feeling of the wind in my face and all of the smells of a different country. (Okay maybe not ALL of the smells...)
We headed into the town of Datanli and we finally found the church that we wanted. The pastor is a new pastor than the one that the guys in Shelby know. But he was very nice and very obliging. We saw the old church building that they have and the new one that they are in the process of building right. The pastor said the church should be down within the next 2-2.5 months, so maybe Jess and I will get to see the finished product.
We headed up to the common building that they have. One of the guys from the church was with us, and he had a motorcycle. I told him that I liked it and he told me that I could drive it. I declined, and then he offered me a ride on it. It was only like 50 feet or so, and so I agreed. I rode a motorcycle in another country!!!
The meeting "building" has two small rooms not connected. As we were waiting around for the meeting to begin, a guy walked up and started speaking Spanish to us. It was obvious that he wasn't a native then and so I tentatively asked in English if he spoke English. Turns out he is a Peace Corps volunteer from California. He and his wife live in this one room connected to the meeting room. (Neither is very large at all.) Their latrine is outside and they don't even have a shower. A school is right in front of their room, and the girl, Kara, said that the kids will ask her what she is doing sometimes while going to the latrine.
(Am going to stop this post for now--will pick back up later)
Here is a picture of the old church and then the church that they are working on right now. Sorry the one is a bit blurry.
No comments:
Post a Comment