Dr. Boudreau arrived this afternoon, and he is staying at Hotel Cafe just for tonight. He came in just to talk with the hospital and then tomorrow he is leaving to go and visit Datanli.
We had visited the hospital before, but this time we got a more in depth tour in certain areas. We went into the recovery/waiting rooms for the Orthopedics. They have a number of beds in one big room, one for women and one for men. There are no curtains to separate or to give people privacy. Some of the people in the rooms have already had treatment and are recovering and some have not yet been treated. For me...it was horrible.
The first thing that hit me was the smell. It didn't smell horrible, but there was a faint underlying odor that almost hit my gag reflex. One of the next things that I realized is the bugs. There were flies on some of the open wounds, and some of the people were too sick/hurt to bother even waving them away. The soonest that some of the people will get treated or looked at will be Friday...or maybe next Tuesday. A lot of the injuries in this part of the hospital were from car accidents or from machete wounds (I believe). I lot of the men had had their tendons cut in their hands or their Achilles tendon. The open wounds were simply covered with sheets. That was it.
When we went into the women's room, it didn't seem like the injuries were as bad. Jess and I talked about it and we figured that it's because women aren't as stupid as men. Just kidding! We figured that it was because the men are the ones who are using the machinery and the heavy lifting, and so they would be the ones to get the serious injuries like that. Some children were in there as well. It's sad seeing it, and knowing that their facility is actually probably better than other hospitals in the world.
Tomorrow, Rodney comes down and I think we might try and meet up with him.
Friday, apparently a group from Shalom is taking a bus up to see the cross, and I believe that we might go with them up there. Friday night, a group from the music school is going to go do Karoke I think, and we might go with them.
Hope all is well with you all back in the states!
Courts
Final Week
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment