Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Long day

Today was a good day...just long.

I went with the group to the Bible school again this morning...but no kids showed up. So the group decided to start getting somethings done that they needed to get done in the time. I went with one of the members to a local hardware store and for the next hour or so, we tried to get a tool kit that he needed...for under a $100. We ended up with $111. I'm not entirely sure how it all worked out because we ended up having to leave.

We also went to the Special Needs school. I was able to talk to the director and get her information and set up a meeting time next week to come by and talk with her and try and get a list of things that they need at the school. She was very obliging, and invited us to see the kids in some of the classes that they have. The kids learn how to make small crafts and how to paint and then they sell the things that they made to help finance how they pay for the school.

I also attended another Bible school that they hosted in a poor community not even 10 minutes from the hotel. It was a very poverty stricken community. The kids barely had any clothes or shoes. A number of kids were solely in their underwear--and some of the littler kids were running around naked. It was a sad sight. Especially coming back to the grandeur of the hotel.

At some point in the day I received a sunburn. I have no idea how because I was inside most of the time. The only time I was outside was when we drove from place to place. Oh well.

We taught English at Shalom again for the young people and adults. Not as many people came this time, which was a bit disappointing, but we still had a good time. We returned back to the hotel and helped a bit with the groups. But now the groups have gone and it is quiet in the hotel. I'm getting ready to take a break and eat some dinner! Then we will probably be working again when the groups return.

Hope this finds you all well!

No comments:

Post a Comment